This Mother’s Day, give yourself the gift of a healthier lifestyle!
How one mom conquered her weight battle for good
After an embarrassing incident in front of her son, Natasha loses 168 pounds.
When Natasha Bunby was 15, her close friend died of meningitis. That sparked her battle with weight, which lasted well into her adulthood.
“In 2002, I was a single mom to my son Deon when I met Marc. He didn’t seem to mind my weight; he loved me for who I am, not my size,” she says. “We got married and the wedding day was supposed to be the happiest day of my life, but in truth I hated the way I looked.”
She and Marc suffered through five miscarriages, “but in January 2008, our longed-for baby boy finally arrived. I was relieved and delighted, of course, but it’s difficult to be completely happy when you’re that heavy.”
Her breaking point came in 2010, during a hospital stay to deal with complications from multiple sclerosis.
“One day when my mom was visiting, she and the boys took me outside in my wheelchair,” she recalls. “While Mom was pushing me, she lost control on a slope and I ended up stuck in a bush. I was so heavy that my mom couldn’t pull the wheelchair out of the hedge, so she had to ask someone passing by to help. It was, without a doubt, the most mortifying thing that has ever happened to me.
“Back at the hospital, my oldest son seemed unusually quiet and sad. I asked him what was wrong and he said, ‘If you’re going to be in a wheelchair from now on, and you’re too heavy for people to push you, how are we going to take you out?’ I knew that when I got out of the hospital, I’d have to do something about my weight once and for all.”
After her first weigh in, just one week after joining Slimming World, Natasha had lost 5lbs. “And I’d eaten so much food – but the difference is that it was all healthy, home-cooked food. There are hundreds of recipes and ideas online to help you satisfy your appetite without ever feeling hungry, deprived or bored,” she says. “Since losing weight, I’ve discovered inner strength and courage that I never knew I had. I hope my story inspires other people with disabilities. Even if you’re not completely mobile, you can lose weight and change your life for the better.”
Go out and play on Mother’s Day
Do you remember playtime when you were young? Winter or summer, we spent every minute we could running, playing games, and racing each other.
– Local parks
– Take along a ball
– If the weather foils your outdoor plans, dance along to music or even play dance games on the Wii or Kinect. Your kids will love to watch you and join in the fun… although it might be worth checking that no one’s recording!
– hopscotch jump rope?
Here’s a really great (and super easy!) brunch idea for Mother’s Day:
Ham and egg soufflés
Ready in 25 minutes
Low-calorie cooking spray
2 large eggs, separated
4 oz (110g) lean ham, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped tarragon
¼ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tbsp finely chopped chives
Salt and freshly group black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Lightly spray four individual ovenproof soufflé dishes with low-calorie cooking spray and place on a baking sheet.
3. Separate the eggs and beat the egg yolks in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Stir in the ham and herbs, and season well.
4. Whisk the eggs whites in a separate bowl until softly peaked and, using a metal spoon, fold in the ham mixture. Spoon this mixture into the prepared dishes and bake for 12 – 15 minutes, until risen and golden. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Hot tip! This soufflé is also delicious with shrimp rather than ham. Swap the tarragon for fresh dill.
This recipe is taken from Slimming World’s Fast and Filling Family Food cook book, which is free to new members when they join Slimming World Online before June 2.
If you would like more recipe ideas for healthy, filling meals that are great for weight loss and good for all the family, please do get in touch.
To join Slimming World in the USA, visit www.slimmingworldusa.com
We like pinning, yes we do, we like pinning how about you? You can find us on Pinterest here: http://www.pinterest.com/slimmingworldus/
ABOUT SLIMMING WORLD
Slimming World, the UK’s leading weight loss organization,* launched in America in 2012. It was founded in 1969 and promises people looking to lose weight a healthy eating plan that offers satisfaction without hunger or deprivation based on the science of satiety and energy density; support that offers compassion, empathy and understanding, and an activity program to suit individual needs and preferences. Members following the program lose weight by eating foods like pasta, potatoes, lean meat, fish, eggs, fruits and vegetables without having to count, weight or measure. Some foods like candy or alcohol are enjoyed in measured amounts. Slimming World has a deep awareness of the emotional, physical and psychological challenges faced by overweight people, and this understanding underscores the company’s philosophy and methods. In more than four decades, Slimming World has helped millions of people to lose weight and live healthier, happier lives.
· Slimming World helps more people to lose weight in its motivating support groups each week than any other internationally renowned weight loss organization.
· Slimming World holds more weekly support groups and has more highly trained Consultants leading its groups than any other weight loss organization in the UK.
· Slimming World magazine is the market leader by circulation in the UK.
· This statement is not based on online membership in the UK, turnover, profit or revenues; it refers to the number of people who choose to lose weight at a Slimming World group each week compared to any other internationally renowned weight loss organization.