Do you remember the old nursery rhyme “Christmas is coming and the goose is getting fat…?” Well, I do. I’m living it. Except it’s not the goose that’s getting fat, it’s my butt. Why? Because I don’t have time to exercise or eat right. Well, let’s be honest…everyone has the time. We just have to make the time. I suppose I could actually get up and do my 10-minute abs each morning instead of hitting snooze 6 times. But seriously? You can’t fault me for trying to sneak in an extra 12 winks. My kids call me SuperMom – two hellacious but lovable boys. I run a very busy beauty bar, sing in & manage a local cover band, run my kids to & from sports practices year round, all while trying to refrain from screaming psychotically at people who drive like assholes (that’s the part that makes me super according to the backseat drivers). However, if you want to be successful at selling beauty on a daily basis, looking healthy & vibrant certainly doesn’t hurt. Here are a few tips & tricks I use to fake it till I make it!
1. Drink water & lots of it. Easier said than done, I know. But here’s the thing. Dehydrated skin drinks makeup. Dry skin sucks makeup into the fine lines you have and makes them look like full on wrinkles. Not to mention that winter flaking. Ew. Stay well hydrated & switch over to a tinted moisturizer. You’ll achieve a nice, healthy glow. Not to mention, water can help get things moving in the belly region. If you are anything like me, you need all the help you can get down there.
2. Make sleep a priority – It’s so important. Your body regenerates and heals while sleeping. Sleep deprivation is not only dangerous but wreaks havoc on your skin! Want to look 85 when you are 45? Try depriving yourself of any quality sleep for a week.
3. Stretch – As soon as you roll out of bed. Hit the floor, assume the child’s pose, and then stretch out your neck a bit. Seems simple, but you’ll be amazed at how fast your blood gets flowing.
4. Get up 5 minutes earlier each day until you have 30-60 extra minutes before the kids get up to do what YOU want to do. Because we all know, once they wake, it’s all about them until they are off to school.
5. Meditate – in the shower. My kids. We haven’t quite mastered the art of privacy yet. But for the most part they leave me alone in the shower. So I use that time to catch up on the news (ok, tmz, but whatever) or just play some relaxing spa music if I need a little calming. Shower in the a.m.? Peppermint or grapefruit shower gel. Evening? Try a lavender or vanilla gel. Then moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize!
6. Beauty shortcuts – Find some. My clients are always telling me how much time they save in the morning by having eyelash extensions. Imagine, you wake up with your mascara already on, & perfectly placed! Add a brow/lip wax & a slight glow from an airbrush tan and BOOM! You’re looking like you already spent 30 in front of the mirror without doing a thing.
7. Lay your clothes out the night before. My brain is very fuzzy in the morning. If I haven’t picked out my clothes the night before I can sometimes stand in my closet staring at the rows of clothes and shoes for 10 minutes!!
8. Take your vitamins – Every morning I prepare a smoothie for my breakfast. I’m not perfect, sometimes that’s the only thing I eat till 5! But in that smoothie I also put my daily vitamin (Emergen-c), a biotin pill for my hair & nails, some probiotics – gotta keep things moving, & my allergy pill. Yup, it all gets blended & I can’t taste a thing!
9. Cut to the chase. Beating around the bush & sugar coating things only prolongs the inevitable. You may not own your own business, but you should try running your life like one. Giving clear concise directions to those around you allows less time for misunderstandings and miscommunications that can take up valuable time.
10. Let it go or take it on! You can’t carry around pain, anger, and bitterness with you for long before it starts affecting you negatively. You either need to let it go or kick its ass. I prefer the latter, but YOU do YOU.
Small Business Owner – www.shimmerskinlashtan.com
Full Time Mom – Jaedon 12, Jaxon 5
Weekend Rock Star – www.facebook.com/prettytwistedseattle
By: Rachel Jamison