Getting outside as a family is important. Bringing your one year old is a great way to get them outside and having fun. Outdoor toys for one year olds are available all year round, so your baby does not have to be left out in the outdoor fun. Let’s dive in investigating some of the best toys out there for a one year old, no matter what the season!
Table of Contents
How long should a one year old be outside
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that infants and young children spend time outdoors every day, but the duration will depend on the individual child and the weather conditions. In general, it is important to protect infants and young children from extreme temperatures and to dress them appropriately for the weather. It is also important to supervise them closely to ensure their safety.
What are the benefits of a one year old being outside?
There are many benefits to infants and young children spending time outdoors, including:
- Physical development: Outdoor play can help children develop gross motor skills such as crawling, walking, and running, as well as fine motor skills through activities such as picking up small objects or manipulating outdoor materials.
- Cognitive development: Outdoor play can also support children’s cognitive development by providing opportunities for exploration, experimentation, and problem-solving.
- Social-emotional development: Playing outdoors with other children can help children develop social skills such as sharing, cooperation, and communication.
- Nature connection: Being in nature can have positive effects on mental health and well-being, and can foster a sense of wonder and curiosity in children.
- Vitamin D: Sunlight exposure is a primary source of vitamin D, which helps our body absorb calcium and maintain healthy bones.
It is important to note that infants and young children should be protected from excessive sun exposure and should be dressed appropriately for the weather.
How to protect your one year old from excessive sun exposure
Here are some ways to protect your one-year-old from excessive sun exposure:
- Dress your child in lightweight, light-colored clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
- Use a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses to protect your child’s face and eyes.
- Apply sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 to any exposed skin, making sure to reapply every two hours or more often if your child is swimming or sweating.
- Try to limit your child’s sun exposure during the peak hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. when the sun’s rays are the strongest.
- Provide plenty of shade, whether it be through umbrellas, canopies, or trees, for your child to play in during outdoor activities.
- Additionally, educate your child about the importance of sun protection and encourage them to wear protective clothing and apply sunscreen when they are old enough to do so.
It is also important to note that a child’s skin is more sensitive than an adult’s and can burn more easily, so it is essential to take extra precautions to protect them from the sun.
Finding The Perfect Outdoor Toy
When looking for an outdoor toy for a one-year-old, there are a few things to consider:
- Safety: Look for toys that are made of non-toxic materials and do not have small parts that could be a choking hazard. Also, make sure the toys are sturdy and do not have sharp edges or points.
- Developmental appropriateness: Choose toys that are age-appropriate and will help your child develop important skills such as gross motor coordination, balance and fine motor skills. Examples of these type of toys could be push-and-pull toys, balls, stacking toys, or shape sorters.
- Size and portability: Outdoor toys should be easy to take with you on-the-go and not too big or heavy to transport.
- Durability: Since outdoor toys will be exposed to the elements, it is important to choose toys that are durable and can withstand the wear and tear of outdoor play.
- Variety: Offer your child a variety of different types of toys to play with to keep them engaged and interested in playing.
- Weather appropriate: Consider the weather and choose toys that are suitable for the climate where you live, for example, if you live in a place with high heat, avoid plastic toys that can become too hot to touch.
It’s also important to remember that outdoor play doesn’t require expensive toys. Simple things such as a bucket and a shovel, a cardboard box, or a blanket can be turned into hours of fun and imaginative play.
what are some outdoor toys for one year olds
Being outside is important for a one year old to get exposure to the world around them. Additionally, it helps them get their daily vitamin D intake. Lastly, it gives them the fresh air they need. We want toys that are fun and going to encourage fine motor skills and gross motor skills. Most importantly, we want toys that are going to inspire interaction and imagination. Here are some outdoor toys for one year olds:
- Ball pit: A ball pit is a great toy for a one year old to crawl and play in. Your child will develop both their fine and gross motor skills. This ball pit is great because you can hose it off outside to clean and let the sun dry the toys.
2. Push toy: A push toy, like a stroller or a lawn mower, is a great way for a one year old to practice walking and build up their leg muscles.
3. Sandbox: A sandbox is a great outdoor toy for a one year old to play in and explore.
4. Water table: A water table is a fun outdoor toy that allows a one year old to play with water and learn about cause and effect.
5. Swing: A swing is a classic outdoor toy that is perfect for a one year old. Just make sure to supervise your child while they are swinging.
6. Outdoor playhouse: An outdoor playhouse is a great toy for a one year old to xplore and use their imagination.
7. Tricycle: A tricycle is a fun outdoor toy for a one year old to ride and build up their balance and coordination.
What are the best outdoor toys for one year olds on amazon
Here are some popular outdoor toys for one year olds on Amazon:
- Step2 Naturally Playful Lookout Treehouse. This outdoor playhouse features a climbing wall, lookout tower, and slide, providing plenty of opportunities for imaginative play.
2.Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball Set: This adjustable basketball hoop is perfect for young children learning to play basketball.
3. Fisher-Price Grow-with-Me Trike: This tricycle adjusts as your child grows, making it a great toy for one year olds and beyond.
KidKraft Modern Outdoor Playhouse: This outdoor playhouse features a kitchen, grill, and working doorbell, providing endless opportunities for imaginative play.
4.Step2 Play and Shade Pool: This small wading pool is perfect for young children to splash and play in on hot summer days.
5.Step2 Naturally Playful Lookout Climber: This climbing structure features a slide, lookout tower, and crawl-through tunnels, providing plenty of opportunities for active play.
6.Step2 Neat and Tidy Cottage Playhouse: This charming playhouse features a working door, realistic shutters, and a thatched roof, providing a perfect backdrop for imaginative play.
I hope these suggestions are helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.
what are the best outdoor water toys for one year olds
Here are some popular outdoor water toys for one year olds:
- Step2 Splash N Scoop Bay Sand and Water Table. This water table features a sand and water play area, as well as multiple toys and accessories for imaginative play.
- Little Tikes Fountain Factory Water Table. This water table allows children to build and customize their own water fountain, providing endless opportunities for imaginative play.
- Intex Kid’s Summer Sunset Glow Baby Pool. This small wading pool is perfect for young children to splash and play in on hot summer days.
- Step2 Rain Showers Splash Pond Water Table. This water table features a large umbrella to provide shade and a variety of toys and accessories for imaginative play.
- Melissa & Doug Sunny Patch Giddy Buggy Sprinkler. This sprinkler attaches to a standard garden hose. It features a fun bug-shaped design that will have your child giggling and splashing in the sun.
I hope these suggestions are helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions.
What are some great portable outdoor toys for one year olds
Some of the best toys for little ones are the toys that can go anywhere! Here are some great portable outdoor toys for one year olds:
- Fisher-Price Go Baby Go Poppity-Pop Musical Dino. This toy features a small ball pit and a dino-shaped launcher that pops the balls up in the air. It provides plenty of opportunities for crawling and chasing.
- VTech Go! Go! Smart Wheels Play and Learn Portable Playmat. This portable playmat features a cityscape design and a variety of interactive toys, including a racecar and a helipad.
- Hape Pound and Tap Bench with Slide Out Xylophone. This toy features a small xylophone and a ball-tapping section. It provides a fun and musical way for your child to play and learn.
- Battat Terra Dino Excavation Kit. This excavation kit allows your child to dig and discover a small dino skeleton, providing a fun and educational activity for young children.
- Fisher-Price Little People Caring for Animals Farm. This small playset features a barn and a variety of animal figures, providing a perfect backdrop for imaginative play on the go.
What are Some Winter Toys For One Year Olds
Here are some outdoor winter toys for one year olds:
- Sled: A sled is a classic winter toy that is perfect for a one year old to ride on while being pulled by an adult. Just make sure to dress your child in warm clothing and supervise them while they are sledding.
- Snowman building kit. A snowman building kit is a fun and creative way for a one year old to play in the snow. Look for kits that include small, safe props such as a carrot nose and coal buttons.
- Snow shovel: A small snow shovel is a great tool for a one year old to use to help clear the driveway or sidewalks with adult supervision.
- Snowballs: Snowballs are a fun and simple winter toy for a one year old to throw and play with. Just make sure to supervise your child and make sure the snowballs are not too hard or heavy.
- Winter sports equipment. Depending on your child’s development and interests, you may want to consider purchasing small winter sports equipment such as a junior-sized hockey stick or a pair of skis specifically designed for young children.