10-Minute Baby à la Carte and Gröna Kassen (The Green Bag) brings you vegetarian delight! Here you go! Be inspired!
From our friend Ewa Borin at 10 Minute Baby A La Carte!
Lentil bolognese served with pasta
3 dl/1¼ cups/300g red lentils
500 g/18 oz pasta
1 can crushed tomatoes
(400 ml/14.5 fl oz)
1 red bell pepper
200 g/7 oz carrot
A bunch of fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves
Oil for frying
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp vegetable fond or 1 tsp bouillon/stock granules
1½ tsp dried basil
2½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp black pepper
¾ tsp salt
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the red lentils for 5–7 minutes (or until tender). Drain the lentils in a sieve.
2. Peel and chop the onion and garlic cloves. Sauté in a little oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
3. Grate the carrot. Dice the bell pepper and tomatoes. Add all of the vegetables to the onion and garlic.
4. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and boil the pasta for 6–8 minutes.
5. To the vegetables in the saucepan add: crushed tomatoes, ¾ cup/6 fl oz water, the cooked lentils, vegetable fond or 1tsp bouillon/stock granules, tomato purée, oregano, basil, salt and black pepper.
6. Mix well and simmer over a low heat for about 10 minutes.
7. Serve the lentil bolognese with the pasta and garnish with fresh basil leaves. Bon appétit!
Tips if you have an infant:
- Boil the pasta without salting the water.
- Use salt-free or low sodium vegetable fond or bouillon/stock granules and don’t add salt to the lentil bolognese during cooking. Be extra careful with the other seasoning as well.
10-Minute Baby à la Carte is a smartphone app that facilitates buying and preparing food for children up to 12 months old. It features healthy and simple recipes based on Scandinavian cuisine, a shopping list, practical advice, facts and inspiration.