St. Patrick’s Day Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
On St. Patrick’s Day, there are no half measures when it comes to alcohol! Our drinks guide below will steer you toward a few options to help you stay lucky with your weight loss.Here is a delicious St. Patrick’s Day corned beef and cabbage recipe you will love!
· 14 fl oz Guinness
· 14 fl oz Green beer (regular beer with green food coloring)
· Irish coffee (using brown sugar, Irish whiskey and whipped cream)
· 14 fl oz beer, light
· 14 fl oz beer, low alcohol
· 1½ fl oz liquor (whisky, vodka, brandy) with diet mixer
· Bailey’s Fat Free Irish Cream Coffee Creamer
Slimming World’s Corned Beef & Cabbage
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 2-3 hours
1 medium onion, cut into wedges
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp cider vinegar
½ tsp pepper
1 x 3lb corned beef brisket (lean and all visable fat removed)
cabbage and potatoes, to serve
spice packet, cut in half
1. Place corned beef, onion, garlic, and bay leaf in a large pot. Cover the beef, add the vinegar, pepper, and spice pack (or mixed spices). Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2-3 hours until the beef is tender.
2. Remove the beef and rest for 10 minutes before slicing/pulling/cubing. Serve with mashed, baked, or boiled potatoes, and cabbage.
Ireland native moves to America, loses 147 pounds
Software architect says hitting 30 motivated him to change his life
Brian McLaughlin, a software architect for the New York Stock Exchange, has lost 147 pounds and looks like a different person. McLaughlin says he’d been overweight since childhood. It wasn’t until he reached the age of 30 – and weighed in at 330 pounds – that he decided it was time to do something about the problem.
He joined Slimming World, a program that’s been helping people to successfully lose weight in the U.K. for 45 years and is now available in America. The plan is based on the science of satiety. It’s all about choosing real foods like poultry, lean meat, fish, pasta, potatoes and fruit and vegetables that you can buy from any grocery store – foods that are low in energy density (or calories) but are filling so when following the plan you never feel hungry or deprived. Nothing is banned outright, so you’re left feeling deprived of your favorites, but indulgences such as chocolate or wine are controlled so that you lose weight.
McLaughlin calls the plan “a realistic life choice. It’s instilled in me a culture of eating the right foods 90 percent of the time, with some treats when I want something special. Being overweight my whole life, I’ve realized that this is how healthy people should eat – which is a very novel idea to get my head around.”
When he first started the journey to change his life, McLaughlin started totaling up the number of calories he was consuming each day. “The count came in at about 7,000 calories,” he says, “with half of that being in alcohol on some occasions!”
The great thing with Slimming World’s program is that you don’t have to weigh, measure or count calories. Because it’s all based on satisfying your appetite by filling up on everyday foods, you only need to measure things like bread and cereal and milk and cheese and limit alcohol, and foods that are high in fat and sugar. So it’s all about making healthier choices easier.
Before moving from Ireland to the U.S. and getting healthy, he had to go to the doctor for a checkup in order to obtain a green card. “My blood pressure was 135/92, and I recall the doctor joking, ‘You’re healthy enough to get into the U.S., but I’m not sure how long you’re going to last!’ My blood pressure is now around 100/70 and well below the normal for a healthy adult. I also have a lot more energy and a better overall attitude about life.
2 of the most delicious cheesecake recipes!
ABOUT SLIMMING WORLD
Slimming World, the UK’s leading weight loss organization,* launched in America in 2012. It was founded in 1969 and promises people looking to lose weight a healthy eating plan that offers satisfaction without hunger or deprivation based on the science of satiety and energy density; support that offers compassion, empathy and understanding, and an activity program to suit individual needs and preferences. Members following the program lose weight by eating foods like pasta, potatoes, lean meat, fish, eggs, fruits and vegetables without having to count, weight or measure. Some foods like candy or alcohol are enjoyed in measured amounts. Slimming World has a deep awareness of the emotional, physical and psychological challenges faced by overweight people, and this understanding underscores the company’s philosophy and methods. In more than four decades, Slimming World has helped millions of people to lose weight and live healthier, happier lives.
· Slimming World helps more people to lose weight in its motivating support groups each week than any other internationally renowned weight loss organization.
· Slimming World holds more weekly support groups and has more highly trained Consultants leading its groups than any other weight loss organization in the UK.
· Slimming World magazine is the market leader by circulation in the UK.
· This statement is not based on online membership in the UK, turnover, profit or revenues; it refers to the number of people who choose to lose weight at a Slimming World group each week compared to any other internationally renowned weight loss organization.