Elizabeth from Sarnia asks:
Q: I read your advice on The Baby Spot and it is great! I am trying to find a sleep consultant in my area. There seems to be a lot of people who claim they are but when I meet up with them, they don’t seem to know what they are doing. How do people find legitimate sleep consultants? What are some questions I should ask a potential sleep consultant? Is it possible that I could just have a skype session with one or is it important to meet with them in person?
Here are the top 5 reasons to hire a Certified Child Sleep Consultant:
1. 1 in 4 babies and toddlers have some type of sleep disturbance, and contrary to popular belief, these issues do not usually resolve themselves. You do not have to endure weeks, months or even years of sleepless nights. With a Child Sleep Consultant, you can get the sleep issues resolved in as little as a few days.
2. Sleep is extremely important for the developing mind and body of a child. Children who get adequate sleep are happier, healthier, have increased attention spans, better problem solving skills and are less clumsy.
3. Sleep is very important for the family unit because when a child sleeps well, the parents sleep well, and when the parents sleep well they get along better with each other and enjoy time with their children more.
4. The amount of sleep information from family, friends and books is overwhelming. A Certified Sleep Consultant can create a customized sleep plan designed specifically for your family and give you the confidence to implement your plan and follow through.
5. Your child is always changing and your Certified Sleep Consultant will not only enable you teach your child how to be a great sleeper for tomorrow, but for a lifetime.
So now that you know why you should hire a Certified Child Sleep Consultant, how do you find the right one for your family?
1. Ensure they are certified through an accredited program. I received over 80 hours of training through the Family Sleep Institute and I’m a member of the International Association of Child Sleep Consultants.
2. Ask what methods they use. Many consultants only use one method which may not be the right method for your family. There isn’t a one-size-fits-all when it comes to sleep training and every family is different. I have been trained in many different methods ranging from very gentle to more direct. We’ll work together to find one that right’s for your family.
3. Find out what support they offer. A lot of the success comes from having the confidence that your efforts are working, and if your sleep consultant is unavailable to answer your questions, troubleshoot or cheer you on, you may not see the success you want. I provide unlimited email and text support during the program, which many families have claimed makes all the difference.
4. Find out what experience they have, both professional and personal. I’ve been where you are and I know what it’s like to struggle with sleep. Ive also worked with hundreds of families and have successfully resolved many different sleep issues.
So what type of consultation is necessary? A phone/Skype consultation or an in-person consultation? In my practice, a phone/Skype consultation will provide you will the same information, the same level of service and the same results. The difference with an in-person consultation is you get to meet your Consultant in person, they get to meet your child and evaluate the sleeping environment. I personally do not feel one is superior to the other, just a little different. I also provide an overnight option, but this isn’t usually necessary.
If you’re feeling sleep deprived and would love to get a great night’s sleep, don’t hesitate to give me a call and we can talk it over. I offer a free 15-minute consultation to get you started!